Starting with version 2.0 DDUtil has been redesigned under the hood. The design philosophy has changed from being CAT command passer to being a PSDR State Server. What this means is DDUtil is the only one talking to the radio (PSDR) and maintains a list of radio state values it passes back to the clients. All clients both software and hardware talk only to DDUtil who will furnish the requested radio information to the client(s). The state information is updated per the polling interval on the ports tab, usually ~500 ms.
This philosophy ensures all clients get the correct information they requested in a timely fashion while keeping the radio CAT port unclogged and running efficiently.
Most users won't notice any difference in operation as it's all under the hood, but you will see improved response and CPU usage depending on what you have hooked to DDUtil.
The following new features have been added in v2.0.
- Modified the RCP tab
- Added an additional RCP (RCP5)
- Removed Enable, IF and Dis Pol check boxes from RCP2,3,4 as they are no longer needed.
- Expanded the Programs Notes text box to hold more data.
- Added specific RCP port for N1MM contesting software.
- Added a TCP/IP PSDR State Server
- This is a programmers interface and not for general use.
- See the State Server page or contact me for additional information.
- Added 8 additional user macros (M17-M24) to the Macro Tab.
- Any of the special macros you may have used (M17 - M26) will need to be moved up 8 positions to start at M25.
- There is a sample macro file (MacroData24.xml) in the DDUtil install directory that incorporates these new macros.
- Added a new Wind (Windows) entry to the Main menu.
- Allows access to all available sub windows.
- Added new Rotor sub window (Menu|Wind).
- Access to set Rotor Heading and Presets.
- Access to SteppIR basic controls (interactive mode only).
- Added support for the Alpha 9500 amplifier (Amps tab).
- Added sub window for Alpha 9500 amplifier basic functions (Menu|Wind).
- Added the Knob tab for the new K6TD & K6TU Tuning Knob.
- This tuning knob is in development and will be available soon.
- Reworked the Auto Drive & PTT code to make them more robust.
- Added new DDUtil macro commands.
- Added support for F5K Diversity mode.
- See the DDUtil Revision History page for a more complete list of changes.
DDUtil v2.0 *IS NOT* a real-time application. Don't expect to see instantaneous updating of things like s-meter readings or anything else that requires a fast polling rate of the radio to keep current.
Efficient CAT port operation relies on proper management of the client applications. This is why only DDUtil talks to the radio. The radio CAT port can become jammed with commands which in turn can slow down or stop CAT responses.
If you want to run programs like HRD, BobSmeter or TMate that use a ridiculously fast polling rate then use a port splitter program like the one supplied in VSPE. However, this behavior is discouraged as it can diminish the effectiveness of DDUtil. Run at your own risk.
The following are the minimum requirements for running DDUtil v2.0.
- PowerSDR v2.0.19 or later.
- DDUtil v2.0 or later.
Operation is the same as earlier versions of DDUtil. Connect client hardware and RCPs (Radio Control Programs) as you have done previously.
- Polling Interval
- A polling interval of 500 ms. (1/2 second) is the recommended polling interval for most applications. Faster rates can be used depending on the types of clients that are attached to DDUtil.
- Going below 250 ms. is discouraged as port overloading and increased CPU usage can occur. However, this will vary with each installation depending on what RCPs and hardware are connected and PC processor type and speed. Experiment at your own discretion, but watch the CPU usage indicator for signs of trouble.
The latest release of DDUtil v2.0 is available here