Here is a list of Cautions and Recommendations for consideration.
The PowerSDR CAT port is a limited resource and must be managed properly or responses between DDUtil and PowerSDR can be severely compromised. Any unnecessary activity should be avoided in favor of keeping the CAT port happy.
There are some RCP’s (Radio Control Programs) that should be avoided because they hog a lot of bandwidth of the CAT port. The known main offenders include, but are not limited to:
- Ham Radio Deluxe
- TMate controller
- Tokyo High Power Amps (using RS232 connection)
HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) is a fine program for Knob rigs, but isn't well suited for Flex radios and DDUtil. It uses a lot of precious CAT port bandwidth creating and maintaining *ANOTHER* GUI (graphic user interface) that isn't needed in addition to PowerSDR.
If you want to run DM780 and other HRD accessories it's suggested to use Mini Deluxe in lieu of HRD. Mini Deluxe was designed specifically for this purpose and plays very well with DDUtil and PowerSDR.
If you're looking for a logging/digital mode program take a look at DXLab. DXLab is a suite of programs designed for dxing but is suitable for most anyone. It plays well with DDUtil and I recommend it highly and have been using it for many years. Oh, and it’s free just like DDUtil and has a first rate reflector and documentation. An abbreviated list of DXLab features include:
- Commander - Radio Control
- DXKeeper - Logger, QSL and Award tracking, LOTW & eQSL interface
- DXView - DXCC info, rotor control
- WinWarbler - Digital interface for CW, RTTY. PSK and Phone modes
- Spot Collector - Collects and manages spots from multiple Telnet cluster sites
- Path Finder - QSL/Contact info
- Prop View - Propagation Prediction and Forecasting
- Launcher - Starts, stops and manages updates for all DXLab applications